- CHRIST CHURCH
- PEOPLE & PLACES AND UBIQUE ARCHITECTS
The church hall extension
The new link
Christ Church, Chislehurst dates back to 1872, with a hall added early in the twentieth century. However age was beginning to tell, with the church finding itself struggling to cater for modern worship and community activities.
The parish felt that more space was needed to accommodate a growing range of activities. The hall was extended, with additional rooms for meetings and other activities, offices, and a new kitchen. The existing area of the hall was also renovated and reconfigured.
A large link space was formed between the refurbished hall and the church to provide a reception area, creating a modern complex ready to meet the needs of the worshipping community.
The parish felt that a development of this nature should set an example of sustainable development. A range of renewable energy measures, including wind turbines and solar water heating, were considered. That found to be most appropriate for the site was a ground source heat pump system, heating water for the underfloor heating system installed in the new areas. Six vertical heat exchange loops, each 100m deep, were installed in boreholes drilled through the chalk rock below the site of the church. Although the rock under the hillside near Chislehurst caves proved to contain several voids these could be filled during drilling. The ground-source heat pumps led to a dramatic reduction of carbon emissions in the new extension. A grant was obtained under the Low Carbon Buildings Programme to help with the cost of the GSHP.
The GSHP, recycling rainwater from the extensive roof area to flush the toilets, occupancy sensors controlling lighting and good insulation all contributed to a pre-assessment BREEAM rating of excellent. The efforts were recognised by the church's winning the 2008 London Borough of Bromley Environmental Group Award.